Welcome to the Languages KLA.
Bienvenue! Selamat datang! ようこそ! (Youkoso)
South Grafton High School has a strong tradition in language learning and many of our top academic students have included a language as part of their HSC study.
We currently offer four languages at South Grafton High School:
- our local Aboriginal language, Gumbaynggirr
We also offer interest electives for Year 9 and 10 students in the Z elective. These include Amazing animations, Taste of Asia and Let’s go to Europe!
The language staff is a dynamic team which supports and actively participates in the wide range of programs, committees and extra-curricular activities that are offered at SGHS.
The Languages KLA also provides lots of exciting activities and opportunities for students to complement their language learning.
- Overseas excursions to Japan, New Caledonia and Indonesia.
- Sister school visits from Japan and Indonesia.
- Indonesian and Japanese dance groups.
- Language clubs at lunch time.
- Language Perfect World Championships
- Cultural workshops and performances. Recent workshops have included Indonesian Dance by Suara Indonesia, Gamelan and Kecak by Made Denis, Japanese Taiko Drumming, Indonesian Wayang Kulit (shadow puppets) and Theatre LOTE Fantastique.
- Language camps – CASLI camp for Yrs 5-8 from SGHS and its feeder primary schools, Year 9 North Coast Japanese camp and Senior French camp.
- HSC Language days.
- Hosting assistant teachers from France, Indonesia and Japan.
- Guest native speakers and tutors.
- Hosting exchange students.
- Language Olympic games between elective language classes.
- Speech competitions.
❝If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.❞
‒ Nelson Mandela